KDE Telepathy and Kubuntu

Jonathan Riddell jriddell at ubuntu.com
Sat Mar 10 16:30:04 UTC 2012

On Sat, Mar 10, 2012 at 04:10:00PM +0000, David Edmundson wrote:
> Normally (like in konversation) there is a
> Kubuntu patch which emits some signals saying (I've got a message").

Actually it's built in upstream to most applications.  Only
Konversation holds out, maybe to get us back for switching to Quassel
back in the KDE 4.0 times :)

> If we patched our stuff, if the user still has this plugin installed,
> no matter how much we patch our stuff they'd get multiple alerts
> unless we change this plugin.

So it sounds like nothing should be done to get the Plasma Message
Indicator Widget working.  I'm running KDE Telepathy and it doesn't
work so I'm missing something.

It looks like telepathy-indicator is the unity equivalent of our Plasma Message Indicator Widget.

I also see indicator-status-provider-telepathy "indicator-messages
status provider for telepathy (pre-mc5)" and
indicator-status-provider-mc5 "indicator-messages status provider for
telepathy mission-control-5".

but when I install them nothing happens still.  is it the combination
of indicator-status-provider-mc5 is a plugin for the
telepathy-indicator widget.  Is it a combination of them that loads
the bit into telepathy to talk to message indicator?

Jonathan