KDE Telepathy and Kubuntu

Jonathan Riddell jriddell at ubuntu.com
Sat Mar 10 10:50:34 UTC 2012

On Fri, Mar 09, 2012 at 05:29:58PM +0000, David Edmundson wrote:
>  - The message indicator acts as an approver (for Empathy)
>  - However it's hardcoded to show the icon/name from Empathy when it's
> doing it's approver thing

Ah so the message indicator widget needs either just to show the KDE
Telepathy icon under KDE or to be clever enough to detect which client
is running and show an appropriate icon and which to bring to the
front when MI gets clicked.

>  - Even if we did fix it.. we still have our own approver which would
> then sort of clash at a UI level. You get two flashing envelopes
>  - Initially I thought we could simply not ship ktp-approver in
> Kubuntu but then we don't have an approver for files/streams (v bad).

But it should be easy to patch the ktp-approver to not show when getting a message in Kubuntu?

>  - tl;dr because of some lazy gnome dev this is both really really
> easy to do in theory with only a minor patch needed, in practice it's
> a real pain.

Gosh who'd have ever expected that? :)

Jonathan