[Usability] Vision and Persona

David Edmundson david at davidedmundson.co.uk
Wed Jun 20 14:12:07 UTC 2012

On Fri, May 4, 2012 at 12:32 PM,  <heiko.tietze at user-prompt.com> wrote:
> David Edmundson wrote: >What's important is that we all have the same goals,
> otherwise we'll argue each time we get someone asking for better
> integration. Fully agreed. That's the idea of usability basics. > I want to
> say that we are _not_ to cater for Leonard's IRC use cases, and this needs
> agreement and clarification. You argue with IRC idle vs. Konversation but
> I'd like to think about all parts of KTp. To not support Leonard's use cases
> means, for instance, no notifications on IRC, no birthday reminder in
> contact list, no sip phone responder etc. (just brainstorming). Each
> "protocol" will still have a specialized, full-featured application.
> Correct? Following this postulation, the core usability goal of KTp would be
> simplicity (KISS) in favor of functionality. The fewer controls are
> provided, the easier Penny will use it. If so, we could change Leonard into
> a so-called antipersona: his special requirements are stuff that is
> explicitely not part of the program. >Things I'd like to change: "whilst
> busy doing something not KTp related"... done Thanks for your reply, Heiko.

Update on this, there's been some comments on IRC/real life, but this
thread hasn't been updated.

We still haven't decided this "to what extent do we support IRC if at
all?" and as that's clearly an issue it's a main topic of our official
next meeting at Akademy. There's arguments both for and against, and
they're both valid and sensible. Hopefully a face-to-face debate will
sort this finally.