Importing TpQtLogger into our repos

David Edmundson david at davidedmundson.co.uk
Tue Jan 31 00:41:57 UTC 2012

On Tue, Jan 31, 2012 at 12:02 AM, Dominik Schmidt
<ich at dominik-schmidt.de> wrote:
> On 31.01.2012 00:53, Daniele E. Domenichelli wrote:
>>
>> On 30/01/12 23:02, David Edmundson wrote:
>>>
>>> Final possible option, I merge the code into ktp-text-ui, and then
>>> there's less dependencies.
>>

>> I would like to avoid this, since we will need it at least to import the
>> history into nepomuk, so having it as an internal library will be a
>> problem.
>>
>> What about importing it in common-internals instead?
>

> Please don't. Just don't.
>
> http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Why_not_bundle_dependencies
>
> While forking is really bad, it seems to be the only option if upstream
> doesn't care about a project anymore. But please make clear your fork should
> be used by distributions and a replacement for the old unmaintained code
> stack that is about impossible if you bundle it with another lib...

It won't be in any distro because it's not something that ever got
released (the initial problem), it's just some software in some dude's
scratch repo. I really don't think it's an issue.

Bundling the dependency wasn't my main option, it was just a casual brainstorm.

Given how many repos we have, one extra for telepathy-qt-logger isn't
a big deal. I just want someone to be happy with the name before I
make a sys-admin request.

Dave