Chat Plasmoid

Aleix Pol aleixpol at kde.org
Fri Dec 21 14:56:05 UTC 2012

On Fri, Dec 21, 2012 at 3:22 PM, Lasath Fernando <mail at lasath.org> wrote:

> Hey everyone,
>
> Okay, so I tried using the chat plasmoid exclusively for a little while to
> see what the annoyances/show stoppers are. Currently it boils down to:
>
> 1. Scrolling Bug - I know that various 'fixes' have been applied over
> time, but with the latest master and Plasma 4.10 Beta, it's still there and
> renders the plasmoid effectively useless once a conversation reaches a
> certain length.
> We need to go through all the crude hacks that we have and decide which is
> the least evil and apply it. We can leave it until plasma people come up
> with a magic fix (which I don't think is likely since it doesn't look like
> ListViews were ever really designed with scrollbars in mind).

About the scrolling, can you see if the attached patch to kde-runtime helps
with your problem? I happen to have these modifications and I'm unsure why
:D.
If it happens to help you, I'll go test them throughly to push them to 4.10.
I just tested and scrolling works fine here.

> 2. No notification - Yes the little bubble appears when you have unread
> messages, but just being red doesn't make it stand out enough. We need to
> either
> - animate it (bounce/blink/demand attention)
> - play a noise
> - create a normal notification as well (passive - users can use global
> hotkey or clicking on the widget to respond).

I wouldn't want a global notification there, but a sound being played could
help.
Maybe it would be interesting to see how others do that...

> 3. Lack of Hotkey - The whole point of this originally was to be able to
> respond to people quickly and return to work with minimum hassle.
> I've actually worked on this today and I'll open up a review request soon.
> It's almost solved - I've got the next conversation to pop up, but it
> doesn't have keyboard focus. I (by which I mean someone else ;-) needs to
> find a way to bring the popped out dialog to the front and give it focus.

I agree, having a hotkey that opens the next unread chat would be awesome
and it's terribly needed.