Chat Plasmoid

Lasath Fernando kde at lasath.org
Sat Dec 22 13:23:20 UTC 2012

On Sat, Dec 22, 2012 at 1:56 AM, Aleix Pol <aleixpol at kde.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 21, 2012 at 3:22 PM, Lasath Fernando <mail at lasath.org> wrote:
>>
>> Hey everyone,
>>
>> Okay, so I tried using the chat plasmoid exclusively for a little while to
>> see what the annoyances/show stoppers are. Currently it boils down to:
>>
>> 1. Scrolling Bug - I know that various 'fixes' have been applied over
>> time, but with the latest master and Plasma 4.10 Beta, it's still there and
>> renders the plasmoid effectively useless once a conversation reaches a
>> certain length.
>> We need to go through all the crude hacks that we have and decide which is
>> the least evil and apply it. We can leave it until plasma people come up
>> with a magic fix (which I don't think is likely since it doesn't look like
>> ListViews were ever really designed with scrollbars in mind).
>
> About the scrolling, can you see if the attached patch to kde-runtime helps
> with your problem? I happen to have these modifications and I'm unsure why
> :D.
> If it happens to help you, I'll go test them throughly to push them to 4.10.
> I just tested and scrolling works fine here.

Okay, I just applied/installed that patch using abs, opened a chat,
and used a script to spit ktp-text-ui's CMakeLists.txt file at me
through GTalk, and this is what happened:
http://local.lasath.org/scroll_bug_back.png

For some reason, the only thing that really seems to come close to
fixing it is setting the cacheBuffer to 9001 (on my machine at least -
doesn't anyone else still have this bug?).

>> 2. No notification - Yes the little bubble appears when you have unread
>> messages, but just being red doesn't make it stand out enough. We need to
>> either
>> - animate it (bounce/blink/demand attention)
>> - play a noise
>> - create a normal notification as well (passive - users can use global
>> hotkey or clicking on the widget to respond).
>
> I wouldn't want a global notification there, but a sound being played could
> help.
> Maybe it would be interesting to see how others do that...

Hmm, if we use a KNotification, will we be able make it so that by
default it only plays a sound?

>> 3. Lack of Hotkey - The whole point of this originally was to be able to
>> respond to people quickly and return to work with minimum hassle.
>> I've actually worked on this today and I'll open up a review request soon.
>> It's almost solved - I've got the next conversation to pop up, but it
>> doesn't have keyboard focus. I (by which I mean someone else ;-) needs to
>> find a way to bring the popped out dialog to the front and give it focus.
>
> I agree, having a hotkey that opens the next unread chat would be awesome
> and it's terribly needed.

Good news on that front, I THINK I figured out a way to get the
TextField to have focus. Still needs KWin's focus stealing prevention
disabled for it to work.