Chat Plasmoid

Lasath Fernando mail at lasath.org
Fri Dec 21 14:22:18 UTC 2012

Hey everyone,

Okay, so I tried using the chat plasmoid exclusively for a little while to
see what the annoyances/show stoppers are. Currently it boils down to:

1. Scrolling Bug - I know that various 'fixes' have been applied over time,
but with the latest master and Plasma 4.10 Beta, it's still there and
renders the plasmoid effectively useless once a conversation reaches a
certain length.
We need to go through all the crude hacks that we have and decide which is
the least evil and apply it. We can leave it until plasma people come up
with a magic fix (which I don't think is likely since it doesn't look like
ListViews were ever really designed with scrollbars in mind).

2. No notification - Yes the little bubble appears when you have unread
messages, but just being red doesn't make it stand out enough. We need to
either
- animate it (bounce/blink/demand attention)
- play a noise
- create a normal notification as well (passive - users can use global
hotkey or clicking on the widget to respond).

3. Lack of Hotkey - The whole point of this originally was to be able to
respond to people quickly and return to work with minimum hassle.
I've actually worked on this today and I'll open up a review request soon.
It's almost solved - I've got the next conversation to pop up, but it
doesn't have keyboard focus. I (by which I mean someone else ;-) needs to
find a way to bring the popped out dialog to the front and give it focus.

The rest are all things minor details that show lack of 'polish' but aren't
really hindrances.

--
Cheers,
Lasath