Telepathy-approver make it do more?

David Edmundson david at davidedmundson.co.uk
Sun May 29 20:18:54 CEST 2011

On Sun, May 29, 2011 at 11:34 AM, Francesco Nwokeka <
francesco.nwokeka at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi fellow devs,
>        I'm writing to talk about the telepathy-approver. What does it do in
> it's current state? For
> what I know, the approver just handles incoming text chats. Well that's a
> too little job for my
> taste.

So what I propose is to make it a deamon that handles common things between
> the kde-telepathy
> components. These "common" things may be for example the kde-tp -> system
> notifications comunication.
>

> Right now the contact list and chat handler both have this integrated in
> their code. Why write the
> same code twice when we could write it once and use the approver for it so
> that both contactlist and
> chat handler handle more important stuff?

That's not actually true. There is no duplicate code in the contact list and
chat handler for notifications. Also the chat handler /has/ to do the
notifications itself as it contains logic to work out if the chat is visible
or not.

> Doing things this way will let other components take advantage of what the
> approver has to offer.
>

> What do you guys think about this?

With the problem "we need a central place to handle account notifications"
I agree 100%

We need something to handle
    - Accounts going offline / not connecting
    - Contacts adding you (properly)
    - Misc tasks such as setting the status to "away" if the screensaver
starts, or "busy" if the screensaver is disabled (i.e clearly watching a
movie or a presentation)
    - Setting status to currently playing song.

With the solution "therefore it should go in the approver":
 I disagree completely. The approver should be doing just it's one task.
Putting other tasks in it both complicates the code and goes against the
modular nature. It stops us having switchable approvers.

I talked with martin about making a "kded" clone, for all the little KDE-TP
jobs. I think this is a slightly stronger plan.

I also don't think this is a release 1 issue.