New contact list mockups

David Edmundson david at davidedmundson.co.uk
Sun May 29 20:10:21 CEST 2011

Just to clarify this:

On Sun, May 29, 2011 at 2:27 PM, Francesco Nwokeka <
francesco.nwokeka at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sunday 29 May 2011 14:54:30 Lukas wrote:
> > Hi Francesco,
> >
> > Just to clarify:
> > a) The presence and contacts MUST be a separate plasmoids?
> Yes
>
> > b) The it could be a unified plasmoid, but contacts is too much of
> overhead
> > for first version?So what that means in reality is that we have to make
> both the dataengine _and_ the plasmoid. Fortunately we only need to do the
> dataengine side once. Another issue is that we are developing for plasma2,
> which is a bit less documented.
> No, I want to keep the two things seperate and break down jobs as much as
> possible.
>
> Nwoki has a plan for GSOC in which he makes two plasmoids (well 3 IIRC), as
it's GSOC we've had to make these plans quite far in advance, and we're not
going to change things just on a whim.

This isn't in any way ruling out there ever being a combo plasmoid. With
both implemented it would be ridiculously easy to do.

(in fact as you clearly know JS, you could do it yourself in not very long)

> Just curious, as if I had to develop such contacts part/plasmoid for web
> > application, it to get it done 90%, it would be less than 1-2 days with
> 300
> > lines of code combined of CSS/JavaScript/and some server side scripting,
> > all with use of frameworks.
>

> > Is developing for plasma more difficult? Does
> > telepathy make use of plasma data engines, or data should be fetched from
> > daemon directly?
> Telepathy doesn't make use of dataengines, but the plasmoids do.

So what that means in reality is that we have to make both the dataengine
_and_ the plasmoid in order to get something that works. Fortunately we only