When do I disconnect? Or, research on the "disconnect on close" issue

David Edmundson david at davidedmundson.co.uk
Sat Jun 18 00:06:13 CEST 2011

2011/6/17 Rohan Garg <rohan16garg at gmail.com>:
> I would *really* appreciate it if there was no dialog when quitting the
> contact list because when i close a app, i just want to quit it and not be
> annoyed by silly dialog's asking me if i really want to quit or go offline,
> on the other hand i quite like the idea of having a option in the presence
> plasmoid which lets you set what you want to do with the contact list.
> Another option would be differentiate "Close" vs "Quit" :
> Close : Just close the contact list, don't disconnect ( Keycombo : Alt + F4
> )
> Quit :  Quit the contact list whilst disconnecting any connected accounts (
> Keycombo : Ctrl + Q )
> Just my 2 cents ;)
> Regards
> Rohan Garg

The issue is explaining this to the user. I think the vast majority of
our users will think:
1) the contact list will dock
2) when they inevitably can't see anything, it means they're disconnected

Anyone installing our first release will have to set up the presence
plasmoid by hand, as it can't add itself to the panels/desktop.

A user not knowing if they're visible to their friends or not isn't a
state we want.

As soon as the user understands telepathy I don't think it becomes an
issue, but it's different to Kopete, Pidgin or even how Empathy
behaves.

Dave