When do I disconnect? Or, research on the "disconnect on close" issue

Francesco Nwokeka francesco.nwokeka at gmail.com
Sat Jun 18 00:09:09 CEST 2011

On Friday 17 June 2011 23:57:06 Rohan Garg wrote:
> I would *really* appreciate it if there was no dialog when quitting the
> contact list because when i close a app, i just want to quit it and not be
> annoyed by silly dialog's asking me if i really want to quit or go offline,
this would be shown just once, the first time you close the dialog (or choose not to see it again)

> on the other hand i quite like the idea of having a option in the presence
> plasmoid which lets you set what you want to do with the contact list.
What if i use fluxbox and don't have the presence plasmoid? Or simply don't have or want the presence
plasmoid?

> Another option would be differentiate "Close" vs "Quit" :
> Close : Just close the contact list, don't disconnect ( Keycombo : Alt + F4
> )
> Quit :  Quit the contact list whilst disconnecting any connected accounts (
> Keycombo : Ctrl + Q )
Yes, this indeed but we need to tell users what happens.
On close show a message stating "You are simply closing the application. Your accounts will remain
ONLINE".
On quit show : "Quitting the application will disconnect any connected accounts you have. Are you
sure?"

Naturally all this once (the user will have a "don't show this again" option)