When do I disconnect? Or, research on the "disconnect on close" issue

David Edmundson david at davidedmundson.co.uk
Fri Jun 17 23:28:04 CEST 2011

On Fri, Jun 17, 2011 at 10:23 PM, Francesco Nwokeka
<francesco.nwokeka at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wednesday 27 April 2011 17:33:27 Dario Freddi wrote:
>> On Wednesday 27 April 2011 16:24:46 George Goldberg wrote:
>> > That bug report has a description of what is needed to solve this
>> > problem properly. It also says Dario volunteered to implement it, so
>> > I'll leave it to him to comment on how far he's got with that.
>> > Upstream aren't going to implement it - it's down to us to make it
>> > happen (including any changes to upstream projects (mission-control
>> > etc)).
>>
>> Erm, wait - I did not actually volunteer to implement it, but I was waiting
>> for news like David was to be honest, there was probably a
>> misunderstanding. That said, I can look into the issue indeed.
>
> Hi guys. I have a solution that may be quite simple and would release us from the pain of having to
> do who knows what kind of c++/dbus kde ass kicking mc guyver magic.
>
> Why don't we simply show a dialog box on the contactlist exit that asks the user : "You are about to
> close the contact list. Do you want to disconnect too?" with a checkbox for keeping that setting
> effective all times.
>
> What do you say?

We have a good plan for KDE Tp 0.2, especially as Dario has found out
how to do ref counting in plasma, however realistically it's not there
yet. I think we need a short-term solution such as this.

I think your proposal makes a lot of sense, though maybe we need a bit
of tweaking on the message.

My suggestion:

When you close the contact list, you will still remain online
available to all your contacts. If you also use the telepathy presence
applet you can control your presence here.

          [Stay Online] [Disconnect my accounts]

(I'm not sure if we can do buttons with the dialog that has the "do
not show again" button", but we can deal with that later.)