History import from Kopete

David Edmundson david at davidedmundson.co.uk
Thu Dec 29 23:24:38 UTC 2011

On Thu, Dec 29, 2011 at 10:16 PM, Marcel Witte <wittemar at googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> I'm following the development of KDE Telepathy a few months now, and really
> like it. But one thing I'm missing is my chat history from kopete. Is there
> any history stored in KDE Telepathy?
>
> As I have some more time now I would like to help here and write a migration
> script or something like this, but to not waste too much time I have a few
> questions. Is there anyone already working on this? Where and how is the
> history stored now? I've read that the plan for 0.4 is to use nepomuk, but
> where is it now? Are there simple XML files like in kopete?

It's complicated...

There is a program called telepathy-logger which you can install right
now made by upstream that will log all your chats. It also handles all
the tasks of dealing with duplicate messages and alike.

This generally writes to XML files (in .local/share/TpLogger) however
it can have multiple storage backends as it has a pluginabble backend
therefore it's "wrong" to read these XML files directly even though it
would be simpler. TpLogger provides (another) interface to read the
messages. (with a glib interface, which has some fairly crappy Qt
bindings in telepathy-yell). We actually use this in the text-ui if
all dependencies are available.

There's been all sorts of discussion as to how it "should' be done,
and it's not gone anywhere.
 Some say "make the logger export to nepomuk as the backend"
 Some say "make the logger export to akonadi as the backend"
 Some say "write a nepomuk service that uses the logger front end to
access logs and update nepomuk"
 Some say "write our own logger that saves somewhere"
 Some say "just use the frickin' logger interface directly and stop
trying to overcomplicate everything" (current text-ui approach)

(my wording may indicate my personal opinion)

This needs sorting otherwise you won't know where you're importing
into. Realistically (as with any FOSS project) it'll go with whoever
actually codes anything. Though I'm sure people will want to have a
discussion.

> I hope you can help me to help you ;)

Me too. We need to sort out what we're doing with regards to saving
logs, and I think we need a log viewer first. Otherwise you won't be
able to see your imports.

Dave