Models and dataengines

Ivan Cukic ivan.cukic at kde.org
Wed Apr 6 19:47:13 CEST 2011

I'll try to respond to all mails in this one :)

On Wednesday, 6. April 2011. 11.54.24 Martin Klapetek wrote:
> https://projects.kde.org/projects/playground/network/telepathy - the
> models are currently only used in  telepathy-contact-list.

Yes, I was using that as a reference (and some other qt-telepathy things I
found). Tried to make a bit simpler contact lister just as a proof of
concept, but didn't manage to do so (had to go to bed :) )

> Well, that'w what Telepathy does :) One API to rule them all.

Yes, but it is an IM API, and IMHO unpleasant as the rest of them are :)
(It is probably just me, but I find job-based apis rather tedious to work
with)

> That will be possible once we finish the Nepomuk integration. For the
> akonadi part, there is also a GSoC project proposal to do exactly this -
> bring PIMO:Person into PIM, which will enable adding IM to PIM and

Cool, lets hope the project gets a slot (and a good student).

> Hope we can join our forces for the great Shelf!

:)

On Wednesday, 6. April 2011. 12.26.26 David Edmundson wrote:
> The first one (in about a months time) will be releasing with the basic
> functionality,
> However in a few days we're starting a new library to use for the first
> release and I'll put the models in there.

Cool. Don't want to reinvent the wheel when I don't need to. I'll have to
switch to proper Qt models anyhow in the near future thanks to QML and
stuff. So these models will come quite handy :)

As far as the "I'll have to wait for the fancier stuff" it is to be
expected and not that unfortunate since I have quite a lot to do even
without this task :)

> We also have a proper plasma data-engine for managing the presence
> (online/away/offline etc) for your accounts, and have a working applet
> for that.

Yes, I've tested that one. A few visual glitches, but nice :) It will all
be better when libplasma2 comes to life...

> We do not currently have anyone working on a dataengine for contacts.

Once the Q*Model for this becomes stable, writing a dataengine will be a
breeze. And maybe even not that important - applets could use the models
directly bypassing another level of QVariant conversions.

Cheerio

--
While you were hanging yourself on someone else's words
Dying to believe in what you heard