Models and dataengines

Martin Klapetek martin.klapetek at gmail.com
Wed Apr 6 11:54:24 CEST 2011

On Wed, Apr 6, 2011 at 11:42, Ivan Cukic <ivan.cukic at kde.org> wrote:

> Hi all,

Hi Ivan,

> this is a followup of http://tinyurl.com/telepathy-shelf and David's
> comment:

> > Feel free to get in touch with us (The KDE Telepathy project) anytime,
> > we’ve got some really useful models to use (and model filters). Plus
>
> So, first of all, I'd like to ask about the 'useful models'* - are those
> planned to be in a library (libktelepathy, decibel... or whatnot) or just
> to be a reusable piece of code lying around.

We're currently using a sort-of fork of telepathy-qt4-yell models. We
adopted the code, did some upgrades and made it available so it can be
merged back. The yell models will (hopefuly) oneday be merged back into
telepathy-qt4 lib, which is our fundamental piece. We are also working on a
K-Telepathy library, that will have connections to Nepomuk as well.

> What is the current state of those and where can the code be found?

All code can be found on git - see
https://projects.kde.org/projects/playground/network/telepathy - the models
are currently only used in  telepathy-contact-list.

> * anything that will save me from yet another set of IM APIs (I got a bit
> ill from psi and java's smack) :)

Well, that'w what Telepathy does :) One API to rule them all.

> > some really exciting future plans to map not just individual IM
> > contacts, but aggregated people from using data from all sources.
>
> When you say 'aggregated', does it imply akonadi as well? That was one of
> the initial ideas I had for Lancelot[1] (and Shelf obviously) - to show a
> list of fav contacts - whereas if a contact is online, clicking on it
> would bring up a chat dialogue, and if not, it would start kmail and
> create a new e-mail.

That will be possible once we finish the Nepomuk integration. For the
akonadi part, there is also a GSoC project proposal to do exactly this -
bring PIMO:Person into PIM, which will enable adding IM to PIM and conversly
PIM into IM. So all will be possible :)

Also feel free to drop by #kde-telepathy channel and ask :) (you can ping me
directly - mck182, or ping grundleborg or gkiagia, they will surely gladly
help as well)

Hope we can join our forces for the great Shelf!

Marty