KF5/Frameworks patch

Frederik Gladhorn gladhorn at kde.org
Wed Aug 26 16:01:40 UTC 2015

Hi Michael,

I haven't looked at the patch in detail, but thanks a lot!
Peter (the main author) is going to be less involved with Simon from what I
can tell, so we'll have to figure out how to proceed. I certainly want to see
it run on KF5 :)

I suppose we should create a kf5 branch for now to get the patch in and make
it possible to test your work easily. If you plan to contribute regularly, an
account would make sense of course.

As for Phabricator, I'm all for it. If anyone has some time, let's get Simon
on there ASAP, it's the direction all of KDE will go.

In the end it's just about finding someone to coordinate with the sys admins.
Since I care about Simon, I want to help, but I tend to be too busy to get any
actual work done these days.
Let us know if you need any advice for the tasks.

Cheers,
Frederik

On Tuesday, August 04, 2015 10:27:42 PM Michael Abrahams wrote:
> Hello,
>
> To learn more about the KDE frameworks I decided to port your application
> to KF5.  I think as far as these things go it was relatively
> straightforward.  I had very little to do that was not listed in these
> porting notes.
>
> https://community.kde.org/Frameworks/Porting_Notes
>
> This was the result of my attempting changes and running the porting
> scripts until everything compiled and worked successfully.  There were no
> intermediate stages which were successful.  So unfortunately I was not able
> to decompose this into smaller individual patches.
>
> I am able to build, install and use Simon built with KF5/Frameworks.
> The major issues that remain are:
> 1) The Plasma widget needs to be significantly rewritten. I set USE_PLASMA
> = false for the time being.  Instructions for this are in the porting
> notes.  I am not familiar with QML so I could not do it myself.
Makes sense.

> 2) All tests are turned off. I have not checked whether they can be
> compiled.
I think that would be an important next step after the general porting.

> 3) Default configuration file locations may not work correctly.  There is a
> lot of code repetition with code like
> QStandardPaths::writableLocation(QStandardPaths::DataLocation) +
> QLatin1Char('/') + "model"));
>
> and I think it would be better to refactor these calls before verifying
> everything or invoking the Kdelibs4ConfigMigrator.
>
> 4) Quite a lot of simple additional migrations can be done.  KPushButton
> gives hundreds of warnings and I think it should be easy to port with a
> script.

Thanks!