KF5/Frameworks patch

Michael Abrahams miabraha at gmail.com
Wed Aug 5 02:27:42 UTC 2015

Hello,

To learn more about the KDE frameworks I decided to port your application
to KF5.  I think as far as these things go it was relatively
straightforward.  I had very little to do that was not listed in these
porting notes.

https://community.kde.org/Frameworks/Porting_Notes

This was the result of my attempting changes and running the porting
scripts until everything compiled and worked successfully.  There were no
intermediate stages which were successful.  So unfortunately I was not able
to decompose this into smaller individual patches.

I am able to build, install and use Simon built with KF5/Frameworks.
The major issues that remain are:
1) The Plasma widget needs to be significantly rewritten. I set USE_PLASMA
= false for the time being.  Instructions for this are in the porting
notes.  I am not familiar with QML so I could not do it myself.
2) All tests are turned off. I have not checked whether they can be
compiled.

3) Default configuration file locations may not work correctly.  There is a
lot of code repetition with code like
QStandardPaths::writableLocation(QStandardPaths::DataLocation) +
QLatin1Char('/') + "model"));

and I think it would be better to refactor these calls before verifying
everything or invoking the Kdelibs4ConfigMigrator.

4) Quite a lot of simple additional migrations can be done.  KPushButton
gives hundreds of warnings and I think it should be easy to port with a
script.

I hope this is useful to you.

Best regards,
Michael Abrahams

P.S. have you considered setting up Phabricator? It is a very nice way to
do code review and task management.  http://phabricator.kde.org