[KDE-Sonnet] Spell server

Dwayne Bailey dwayne at translate.org.za
Mon Jan 29 09:52:12 CET 2007

Hi,

Just a heads up to say that I've written a spell checking server in
Python.  Its based on:

* What I've written in the past (an internal spell server used mostly
for testing Windows spell checkers)
* NoxSpell ideas for the server component and use of Google Toolbar
spell API.  We still use the Nox AJAX side component.
* Various sites expounding on the Google spell API.

What is can do now:
* Query Google and redirect the results for certain languages
* Query Enchant locally to do other languages
* Use OLE to query an MS Office spell checker (not that useful for the
server side as you have licensing issues - and it can't actually do this
yet as I need to port it properly from the old stuff and test.)
* Can use a server side PWL on either Google or Enchant based checkers.
* Has a stand alone client that can query Google directly to see how the
API works.

What I still want to do:
* Add ability to submit items to a server PWL (mostly this is for
creating some way to use the spell checker to allow people to add
missing words to the dictionary, they would be reviewed before really
being added)
* Refine the MS OLE stuff, I haven't reimplemented it properly for the
new server i.e. it doesn't run yet.  But in the past it was dog slow
mostly because of the OLE layer.
* Get the server to tell you what languages it can serve.  The code is
there but need to sort out my understanding of the CherryPy.

What I dream of doing:
* Add the server as an Enchant provider so you could install enchant and
never have to configure any spell checker ever again as long as theirs a
server.  Plus even if you don't have the language on the server it would
go out and use another server to do the checking.
* Have servers able to upgrade to newer spell checkers magically.  And
also add dictionaries that are requested relatively frequently.
* Make a CSAPI spell checker that can use the server (And hell will
freeze over :)

--
Dwayne Bailey
Translate.org.za