[kde-solaris] KDE 4.1.4 IPS packages for OSOL 2008.11

Michael Schuster Michael.Schuster at Sun.COM
Fri Feb 13 07:24:26 CET 2009

Adriaan de Groot wrote:
> There are KDE 4.1.4 IPS packages for OSOL 2008.11 32-bit available now.
> They're hosted on real hardware, not a dodgy VirtualBox, so you should be able
> to get them this time instead of timing out at each attempt. It *is* my home
> DSL, though, so downloads will not be fast.
>
> In theory, you can do
>
> T=bionicmutton
> pkg set-authority -O http://pkg.$T.org:10000/ $T
> pkg refresh $T
> pkg install KDEgdm-integration
>
> and get a KDE 4.1.4 desktop available upon login.

success!

on my recently acquired new Intel-based PC, which has never seen anything
KDE-like before and is now running OpenSolaris b106, I have installed and
am now using KDE from the IPS repository. I'm happy to report that I have
so far not seen an application crash, so this is by far the best experience
with KDE 4.x I've had so far.

Hurray.

Let me use the occasion to highlight a few things I noticed:

- KDE's screen lock still can't unlock (sometimes can't even lock) the
screen, but as I said elsewhere, xlock does the job just as well for me.

- I use two screens; when the mouse is in the second screen, I cannot get a
background menu with the right button, nor have I found a way to give it
non-black background (ie the same as on the primary screen). I can move
windows in to this screen quite easily though (I have an Nvidia 9600GT).

- I have a digital clock in the taskbar; sometimes, I can see only one
digit, the others disappear and I need to mouse-over to get them back.

- this is probably due to the paradigm shift that KDE4 seems to symbolise:
(in layman's terms) I used to be able to create an icon in my task bar
which would launch any application I chose, eg. xterm or firefox. I don't
seem to be able to figure out how to do this now. Help appreciated.

all in all, *very* nice!
Michael
--
Michael Schuster        http://blogs.sun.com/recursion