[kde-solaris] g++ or sun compiler?

Pavel Heimlich, a.k.a. hajma tropikhajma at gmail.com
Tue Dec 15 11:01:49 CET 2009

2009/12/15 Thorsten Hirsch <t.hirsch at web.de>:
> Hi,
>
> as far as I've followed your discussions, it seems that most of you
> are using the SunStudio compiler. Is there a special reason for this?
> The compiler notes of Qt 4.6
> (http://qt.nokia.com/doc/4.6/compiler-notes.html) say, that Sun CC
> doesn't support all the features, e.g. WebKit is not supported. And -
> it's been some months since I tried Sun CC - it also failed to compile
> the concurrent examples.
>
> Since osol ships g++ 3.4.2, which is fully supported (or am I wrong?),
> I thought it would be better to use the GNU compiler.

Hi,
Belenix does use gcc to build their KDE.
indeed it's easier to build with gcc since gcc is quite creative in
figuring out what the programmer wanted to do but forgot to write :-)
(but we're pushing patches upstream as we go).
You can check Adriaan's presentation at
http://www.osdevcon.org/2008/files/tutorial-roman/2.pdf

HTH

P.