[kde-solaris] SRSS + KDE4

Adriaan de Groot groot at kde.org
Tue May 13 22:14:18 CEST 2008

On Tuesday 13 May 2008 21:58:05 LeBar, Russell J wrote:
> As a side note -- does anyone know if the Sun Ray Server Software will be
> officially supported on OpenSolaris at some point in the future? Will
> KDE4-Solaris be supported? The answers are probably "no" but I can dream,
> right!?  ;-)

I don't know about SRSS wrt. the kind of support Sun gives. I do know that
KDE4 will try to run sensibly on SunRay -- I have got one (thanks to Sun NL)
for that express purpose. Plasma -- which is the primary eater of
eye-candy -- is supposed to degrade nicely on less-capable graphics
platforms, so there's the basis of support engineered in. The specifics have
not been dealt with, though. In particular, Qt and Plasma use lots of
gradients which don't work nicely in SRSS; I understand this has been
forwarded to the SRSS folk to see if they can fiddle it in in some future
version (and I think SRSS on Linux, which I haven't tried, uses Xorg as basis
and it might already do the right thing with gradients).

So that's a "maybe" and a "yes" -- better than you expected, eh?