[kde-solaris] SRSS + KDE4

LeBar, Russell J Russell.J.LeBar at erac.com
Tue May 13 22:28:23 CEST 2008

Thanks for the answer. If by gradients you mean eye candy that can be turned off then I'm okay with that. Assuming KDE4 has kiosk mode features similar to KDE 3.x then I can easily create a "policy" to make sure eye candy that kills performance is turned off. In KDE 3.x I use kiosk mode features to force a password protected screensaver for Sun Ray sessions and to turn wallpaper off for MetaFrame for UNIX sessions (so Sun Ray users who VPN in form home for an emergency don't get killed by performance -- something that was much relevant back in the dial-up days of just a few years ago).

FYI, we noticed that turning on encryption for Sun Rays causes the screen repainting to be done differently and it can actually *improve* the repaints for users. So just for kicks you might want to turn that on and see what happens performance wise.

Thanks again for the answer!

-- Russ