[kde-solaris] Gentle Question

Stefan Teleman stefan.teleman at gmail.com
Tue May 13 18:50:56 CEST 2008

On Tue, May 13, 2008 at 12:35 PM, Kunal Deo <Kunal.Deo at sun.com> wrote:
> I dont understand the point in giving so much importance to ABI.

That is a frightening statement to make on a technical mailing list.

Especially when it is followed by a technical essay about "application
portability".

> Think once again. GCC is being used to for so many software around the world
>  including KDE (yes officially KDE is made for Linux and that too using
>  GCC). Apache, Playstation, Symbian and many more. If you think of
>  portability in mind remember GCC is the answer.

You are a Sun employee.

Do I need to remind you that Apache on Solaris is built with Sun Studio ?

>  > What to play catchup with is the choice to be made.
>  > KDE + huge set of KSoftwares is good bit of work to port and then keep
>  > up to date with the future *ongoing* updates.

*THIS* project and the corresponding

http://www.opensolaris.org/os/project/kde/ project

are about KDE4 Solaris built with Sun Studio.

End Of Story.

You are free to build KDE3 or KDE4 with GCC on your own.

Stefan Teleman
KDE e.V.
stefan.teleman at gmail.com