[kde-solaris] Gentle Question

Kunal Deo Kunal.Deo at Sun.COM
Tue May 13 18:35:05 CEST 2008

I dont understand the point in giving so much importance to ABI. Think
once again. GCC is being used to for so many software around the world
including KDE (yes officially KDE is made for Linux and that too using
GCC). Apache, Playstation, Symbian and many more. If you think of
portability in mind remember GCC is the answer. It is available on
almost everything whether its hardware (from x86 to sparc to ARM
embedded) or software (Windows to Linux to any other UNIX).

Yes performance and compliance will be more on less on different
platform. But if it the application is going to be cross-platform you
have to target gcc (and use). GCC also offers a wide range of
performance enhancement option. Moreover its opensource, so if you think
you can make this work better on your platform go ahead do it.

Many mature software use it. Whats the problem. KDE is running happily
in Linux. mingw-gcc has ported numerous applications on Windows, even
they are running happily.

Kunal