[kde-solaris] [kde-discuss] KBE 1.0 - Build enviroment for KDE

Alan DuBoff alan.duboff at sun.com
Tue Dec 11 22:28:44 CET 2007

On Tue, 11 Dec 2007, Shawn Walker wrote:

> I don't see how the installation path != runpath.

I'm going to type this slowly, so please try to follow along at home.

The installation of the software will go into /usr/bin, /usr/sbin,
/usr/etc.

The runpath will be set to /usr/lib, which is where it will get it's
libraries from.

> This is my issue, which Adrian seemed to understand perfectly:
>
> /usr/lib/libqt4.so (linked against stdcxx)

If he understood that perfectly, it would be clear that the apache lib is
named differently and when linked against an app, will be picked up from
the runpath.

> A binary application built on someon else's system that is *not*
> linked against stdcxx picks that library up and then fails.

KDE applications will need to link with the Apache library.

> How will it be ensured that the C++ dependencies KDE has that are
> incompatible with other C++ applications not linked against stdcxx
> won't cause issues?

I'll also type this one slowly...

We - are - using - a - different - library.

> Since all I keep hearing is "it's going to /usr and you'll like it or
> else!"

That is not it at all.

Tell me something. What will you do when the rest of the system moves to
/usr? Because you better get to offering up your debate with the folks
that are doing that. It's underway, AFAIK.

--

Alan DuBoff - Solaris x86 IHV/OEM Group