[kde-solaris] [kde-discuss] KBE 1.0 - Build enviroment for KDE

Shawn Walker swalker at opensolaris.org
Tue Dec 11 19:10:30 CET 2007

On Dec 11, 2007 11:04 AM, Stefan Teleman <stefan.teleman at sun.com> wrote:
> Shawn Walker wrote:
>
> > The pissing off the sysadmins is still an issue I would like to see
> > resolved.
>
> I can't resolve it, and i am not going to waste any time on it.

Which is is akin to saying "Even though you did everything right as a
system administrator and depended upon 3rd parties to follow the
guidelines like they were supposed to I hate them for no good reason,
so you deal with it!"

> I can't control when or why someone gets pissed off  because of some
> arbitrary $REASON related to a directory location, and neither can
> you. This is a Red Herring(TM).

It isn't an arbitrary reason. It's Sun's documentation and guidelines.
That isn't arbitrary.

You may think the guidelines are stupid, you may disagree with them,
but instead of flaunting guidelines you don't like, how about working
to get them changed?

> Cheese moves. That's life.

Developers ignore guidelines; that's life too apparently...

> > This is another, separate issue that I brought up a few days
> > ago. So this isn't a "new one" or an excuse. I don't see how the
> > installation path != runpath.
>
> man ld.
>
> I'll repeat myself: the runtime loader /usr/lib/ld.so.1 does *NOT*
> bind to the filename. It binds to $SONAME.

Which is an answer to a different question than what I asked.

--
Shawn Walker, Software and Systems Analyst
http://binarycrusader.blogspot.com/

"To err is human -- and to blame it on a computer is even more so." -
Robert Orben