[kde-solaris] KBE 1.0 - Build enviroment for KDE

Stefan Teleman stefan.teleman at gmail.com
Thu Dec 6 15:47:58 CET 2007

On Dec 5, 2007 9:33 AM, Adriaan de Groot <groot at kde.org> wrote:

> > Yes it seems to be a better name, but not all of those tools are gnu,
> > therefore I chose kdebld name (it's based on CBE - common build
> > environment, which have Sun's Gnome guys and installed /opt/jdsbuild).
> > It just a name.
>
> So it is, so it is (just a name). So we've got all the build things over
> in /opt/kdebld (or possibly /opt/kdebuild) and can work from there.
>
> > > Is the intention to specfile the whole thing as one blob, or each part
> > > individually?
> >
> > Uff I'm sorry, but I don't understand clearly at this point. Do you
> > are talking about spec files ???
>
> Yes, I meant "are all the components of KBE going to be packaged separately or
> will they all be part of one big package?" I don't know the specs work
> otherwise.

I think KBE should be a blob. I'm guessing the "Developer Experience"
expectation is to be able to install KBE as a package, and then start
building KDE + dependencies.

> > My plan is:  prepare spec file for all tools/libs in current svn (at
> > cvsdude). One spec file (stdcxx.spec) per tool/lib (Stdcxx). First i'm
> > preparing 32bit version and then second 64bit version. Now I have
> > 64bit version for stdcxx and boost. These spec files are located in
> > SPECS directory.
>
> You didn't list stdcxx earlier: so that is part of kdebld as well? My instinct
> is to call that a KDE dependency, not part of the build system. So from here
> forwards we could rely on the KBE being available in the rest of the build
> setup (take a look in cvsdude Build/, which already held tools and patches
> for a number of build tools and a bunch of dependencies).
>
> > P.S. Adriaan, please provide me the naming convenction.

> If I recall correctly, we were going to:
>
> - Install dependencies in /opt/kdesupport, including libstdcxx
> - Install Qt in /opt/qt-<version>
> - Install KDE in /opt/kde-<version>

I think there's a bit of confusion here between where our KDE packages
are installed, and what KBE does.

KBE doesn' restrict the location of the install to a specific
directory: the installation location can be specified in the spec
files.

Ade is right about the Standard KDE Location (which is
/opt/kde-<version> and /opt/qt-<version>.

I'm not too crazy about /opt/kdesupport mostly because it doesn't
sound too intuitive to me (in my mind anything with the word "support"
in it is a phone number you call to complain when something isn't
working :-).

Maybe /opt/kdelocal or /opt/kderuntime or /opt/kdesolaris ?

Stefan Teleman
KDE e.V.
stefan.teleman at gmail.com