[kde-solaris] Some KDE 3.4.3 for Open Solaris questions/comments
Lebar, Russell J
Russell.J.LeBar at erac.com
Thu Mar 23 01:23:51 CET 2006
I'm working on installing it right now (need to get the i18n and then
apply the patches). A few things came to mind though:
1) Looks like KDE341Login is referenced for the logo but it doesn't look
like this exists with the KDE 3.4.3 packages?
2) My understanding is that /usr/dt is sacred, and should be left
untouched as much as possible? Instead changes and overrides are
supposed to go in /opt/dt (which does not exist by default). Case in
point is to look at the Sun Ray Server Software which does use /opt/dt.
Has this changed in Solaris 10 or should mkdtlogin and the documentation
for it be updated to encourage /opt/dt use?
Regarding compiling additional KDE apps:
1) Do I need to use SUN's compiler (e.g. for kdiff3 or koffice) or can I
use gcc? I'm guessing that I can mix and match but e.g. Perl requires
everything be built with the same compiler.
2) Has anyone tried compiling Koffice (or kdiff3) with SUN's compiler?
To put it differently, should I even bother installing SUN's compiler?
3) I'd like to keep the package install location pure so I would want to
put anything I compile somewhere else (e.g. /usr/local/kde). Has anyone
else tried doing something like this? Does it break anything such as
And thanks for all the work Stefan!!!!
More information about the kde-solaris