[kde-solaris] Bash / KDE / and Clearcase

Brian Foddy brian.foddy at nwa.com
Fri Jul 14 00:02:49 CEST 2006

I'm using Stefan Teleman's kde-3.2.1 on Solaris 8 and we are being
forced to
use Clearcase for source control.

I've had the CC client loaded locally on my workstation and having a
couple problems I was hoping others might be able to help with.

1.  I prefer to use bash rather than ksh.  So I changed my /etc/passwd
entry to point to bash, but when I start KDE, the konsole windows
still launch ksh.  Can't find why they start ksh.

2.  Much more difficult problem...  I'd like to have a default
setview command run before my desktop comes up so all
applications can see files in my view.  But the setview command
launches a new shell (bash in my case).  I've tried something like this:

if [ -d $ATRIAHOME ]; then
   if [ ! $CLEARCASE_ROOT ]; then
     exec $ATRIAHOME/bin/cleartool setview -login a26811_soc
   fi
fi

in my .profile, (with and without the exec) but it hangs the desktop start
process I think because launching a new parent shell during the desktop
launch process looses the rest of the startup process.  Any ideas how
I can get the setview command shell to perform the full desktop / startkde
startup process?

Many thanks if someone can help with either issue...

Brian