[kde-solaris] Install experience with SPARC KDE 3.4.1

Lars Tunkrans lars.tunkrans at bredband.net
Mon Jul 18 20:59:35 CEST 2005

Hello all,

Well it was a while since I wrote anything on this list....

Today I installed the latest sun -studio10  port of kde3.4.1  on  a
Sunblade 1500  ( 1 GHz USIIIi  )
Solaris  was  Solaris-11  Nevada-B16  which you can download from the
opensolaris.org website.

The things I  reflected on  as I did the installation was the following:

1.    I would be happier if  the packages was distributed  in
Pkg-stream format.
        the present Pkg-filesystem format is really for CD/DVD
distribution.

        Instead of  doing   a    "tar  cvf " and bzip2    of the
finished  package ,
       how about doing a  " pkgtrans -s "   and  bzip2    ?

        That would make the package directly installable  after
bunzip2-ing   and there is
       no need  to expand the packages to  a million files before
installing.

       As it is now ,  du(1)  reports   3.724525  GB  s the total size
of the bunzip2ed and untarred  distro.
       That  will be a problem  on   U5's  and U10's and SB100 's   that
used to have disks no bigger than  15 GB
       in total.
       USING  PKG-Stream  format   will slash that  figure in half.

2.    I needed  to copy my  /opt/SUNWspro/lib/libsunmath.so.1    to
/usr/lib

          This was a spanking new solaris  & studio 10  installation
and  libsunmath had not
          been copied to /usr/lib for any other reason previous to the
KDE installtion
         Studio 10 directories  was not otherwise in the PATH  for the
test user.

3.    I ran into the previously described problem with the Locales   I
usually  use
       sv_SE.ISO8859-1     or   en_US.ISO8859-1 .
       copying the file Xresources.KDE-3.4.1-32  to
/usr/dt/config/C/Xresources.d/ Xresources.KDE-3.4.1-32
       worked for me as well.

         I will need to work at this a bit  as  konsoles   started under
KDE complains on locales......

 4.    After  I enabled antialiased fonts  the screen  looks  very nice.
         The initial  impression of the KDE screen is  "oahhh  the fonts
looks 10 years old  & ugly "

    I realize the amount of work    put into this  project  as I built
KDE 3.1  from sources a few times 2 years ago..

     Thank you   Stefan.

    //Lars