[kde-solaris] KDE 3.4.1 Solaris 10: -- getting rid of XIM input windows

Stefan Teleman steleman at nyc.rr.com
Fri Jul 15 01:52:10 CEST 2005

On Thursday 14 July 2005 15:28, Derek Konigsberg wrote:
> > Awesome, that did the trick!  I guess that teaches me for still
> > using 'C' for my locale! :)
>
> When I first installed Solaris 10 on my machine, I selected the
> UTF-8 locale myself.  However, this caused the little
> language-selection box to appear below every window, which was VERY
> annoying.  (not sure if it caused other quirks as well)  As such, I
> scrambled to figure out how to force it back to 'C' (or whatever
> ISO?????-? is mapped to it).  If anyone knows of a solution to this
> issue, I'd gladly change the default locale back to UTF-8.
>
> -Derek

Hi.

This is how to fix the annoying little XIM windows:

1. in the directory /usr/dt/config/en_US.UTF-8 there is a file named
0020.dtims. First step is to make a backup of this file.

2. inside this file (which is a #!/bin/sh script), change the line:
_sunximswm="dtwm"
_sunximswm="kwin"

you can pretty easily make this fancier, by creating a text file in
/usr/dt/config/en_US.UTF-8 named "windowmanager" (or whatever you
prefer), which contains only "kwin" (no newline at the end). then you
can say

_sunximswm="`cat /usr/dt/config/en_US.UTF-8/windowmanager`"

in 0020.dtims. but this is a matter of personal choice.

make sure the following environment variables are set in
startkde.en_US.UTF-8 (they should be):

export XIM="htt"
export GDK_USE_XFT="1"
export GTK_IM_MODULE="iiim"
export XMODIFIERS="@im=${XIM}"

and they are _also_ set in your shell initialization file
(.bash_profile, .cshrc, .profile, etc).

after doing these edits, log out of KDE and then log back in in the
en_US.UTF-8 locale. the little XIM windows should disappear.

please let me know if this fixes it.

you can easily create new $LANG dtlogin files by editing/copying the 4
files used by dtlogin for adding a new entry in the Session menu:

/usr/dt/config/Xinitrc.KDE-3.4.1-32
/usr/dt/config/Xsession.KDE-3.4.1-32
/usr/dt/config/Xsession2.KDE-3.4.1-32
/usr/dt/config/en_US.UTF-8/Xresources.d/Xresources.KDE-3.4.1-32

(where you replace en_US.UTF-8 with your favorite language, and then
edit/create the correspondent files accordingly. these files are
shell scripts.

there is a fifth file (which is an Xpm icon), in
/usr/dt/appconfig/icons/C/KDE341Login.xpm

which has a symlink as
/usr/dt/appconfig/icons/C/KDE341Login -> KDE341Login.xpm

you can safely continue to refer to this icon file in
/usr/dt/config/en_US.UTF-8/Xresources.d/Xresources.KDE-3.4.1-32, in
any language and locale. the icon is only used/loaded if you used the
older-style (Solaris 9 and before) dtlogin look, which had a square
icon to the right of the dtlogin panel (and which could change
depending on which session you chose). the new dtlogin style starting
with Solaris 10 no longer uses this icon.