[kde-solaris] file chooser crash from unicode functions in QT

Sunil funtoos at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 14 20:45:56 CEST 2004

Hi,

I compiled QT 3.3.3 and KDE 3.3.0 from sources using
gcc 3.3.4.

A crash happens whenever the file chooser is used to
enter a filename to select a file. for example, if I
were to attach a file to an email from konqueror and I
start to enter "/tmp/abc.txt", as soon as I press the
first letter, the konqueror dies with the following
backtrace. This trace is similar to the traces I see
from kcmshell which happen to serve, for example,
plugin directory entering of the konqi configuration
settings.

[Switching to LWP 2]
QTextCodec::fromUnicode (this=0x41540, uc=@0xfc67bee0)
    at ../include/qstring.h:880
880     { return d->len; }
Current language:  auto; currently c++
(gdb) bt
#0  QTextCodec::fromUnicode (this=0x41540,
uc=@0xfc67bee0)
    at ../include/qstring.h:880
#1  0xfe19d488 in QString::local8Bit (this=0xfc67bee0)
    at tools/qstring.cpp:5861
#2  0xfe16f75c in locale_encoder
(fileName=@0xfc67bee0) at tools/qfile.cpp:559
#3  0xfe16f7b8 in QFile::encodeName
(fileName=@0xfc67bdb0)
    at tools/qfile.cpp:589
#4  0xfe155afc in QDir::setCurrent (path=@0xfc67bee0)
at tools/qcstring.h:291
#5  0xfef6c3dc in DirectoryListThread::run ()
   from /usr/kde/3.3/lib/libkio.so.4
#6  0xfde38b70 in QThreadInstance::start
(_arg=0x25027c)
    at kernel/qthread_unix.cpp:119
#7  0xfd555c9c in _lwp_start () from
/usr/lib/libthread.so.1
#8  0xfd555c9c in _lwp_start () from
/usr/lib/libthread.so.1
Previous frame identical to this frame (corrupt
stack?)
(gdb)

anybody seen anything like this on solaris 9?

It looks like some kind of locale issue but I am not
sure what.

Any help be greatly appreciated.

-Dev