[kde-solaris] Re: kde-solaris Digest, Vol 19, Issue 2

Stefan Teleman steleman at nyc.rr.com
Sat Oct 2 19:26:53 CEST 2004

Here's my concern about installing KDE in a fixed path (whatever that
path may be): we inadvertently create a problem for the sysadmins in
enterprise environments. Meaning, if we always build KDE to install
in <insert-your-favorite-path-here>, any new release of KDE will
overwrite the existing one. Which, in a company type setup is
difficult to manage, especially when the company in question has some
very strict standards as to how and where to install software.
Company syadmins usually like to install a "let's try this new
release" version of any software, and test it, before they make it
available to everyone. If we keep overwriting, the sysadmins will be
very reluctant to install and deploy newer versions of KDE. And the
sysadmins are a very important group of people: they know the root
password. We want to keep them very happy. :-)

Then there's also the issue of dependencies on other libraries, which
often change from one version of KDE to another.

I think that keeping KDE releases in their own separate directory
trees makes new installations easier to manage. That way, any new
release will go into its own directory tree, without bothering or
overwriting existing ones, which may be already deployed and in
production. If the company in question wants to upgrade to the new
release, the only thing they need to do is change symlinks (from the
currently deployed version of KDE to the newly upgraded one).

It's not an easy problem to find a comfortable solution to. This is
just the best idea i could come up with.

--Stefan

-----

[ ... sniparoo ... ]