[kde-solaris] Re: KDE, Solaris, GCC, etc ...

Eva Brucherseifer eva.brucherseifer at basyskom.de
Sat Oct 2 13:07:08 CEST 2004

Hi Sergio, Jaime and Stefan,

since I founded this kde-solaris list back in 2001 we always had users here
asking for gcc packages as well as asking for Sun Forte packages. Also always
people came up with questions when compiling using those compiliers. Of
course Sun Forte wasn't an option a long time as nobody went the long way of
porting KDE to this compiler.

Today we have both packages available and I am very glad about this. I really
want to thank the three of you for putting your valuable time into KDE!
As Solaris installations are usually very hetergenous there are also users for
both types of packages. Therefore I don't see why one package should be more
important than the other. There are both important. gcc are usually faster
available than suncc packages, but suncc packages usually have better
performance.

KDE does NOT have any policy to have only ONE type of package per platform. I
case anybody told you, this is wrong - I even checked back with the current
release maintainer in order to be sure. Therefore I'd love to see both
package also in the future. You both have your users. Just name your packages
solaris-gcc and solaris-suncc or use directories like solaris/gcc and
solaris/suncc.

Furthermore I'd like to invite Sergio and Jaime to get even more involved with
this mailinglist. We have many users here who use the gcc packages and who
have questions. There are also people here compiling KDE using gcc themselves
and you could be a great help here. This is what this forum is for.
This is the advantage of having long-term contributers as packagers - they
know the system and caveats very well and they don't just disappear :-)

And both of you: There are also solaris bugs filed in the kde bugs database
(http://bugs.kde.org/simple_search.cgi?id=solaris). You both know the system
better then anyone else. Why not help the KDE developers (most of them don't
really know the platform) to fix this? Why don't you work to gether to make
KDE work perfectly on Solaris? Integrate your patches in CVS HEAD, make it
work.

There is no reason to fight against each other. The contributions of both of
you are very much appreciated in KDE!

Greetings,
eva

Am Freitag, 1. Oktober 2004 15:31 schrieb Sergio Rodriguez de Guzman Martinez:

> Stefan Teleman wrote:
> | And now for a litttle bit of history: when i set out to work on KDE on
> | Solaris, at the beginning of 2003, it was agreed, on this list, that
> | i will port, build and maintain KDE for Solaris with the Sun
> | compilers. If i remember correctly, a vote was taken to this effect,
> | by the members of this list.
>
> We built kde 3.1.5 and 3.2.1 for our own purpose as your 3.1.4 seemed to
> work too slow on our machines. The performance was notably increased, so
> we wanted to share it with the official site. The sysadmin of kde told
> us if we wanted to package the 3.2.2 version and continue releasing the
> next versions.
>
> | There is no point for me, nor do i have any interest, in building KDE
> | on Solaris with GCC. There is no point because it's been done
> | already, by many people, and because Sun provides KDE built with GCC
> | on their Companion CD. There are many other places on the 'Net where
> | anyone can download KDE on Solaris built with GCC. I see no need for
> | yet another GCC build. It is not very difficult to build KDE with
> | GCC.
>
> That is no point...
> Which is the kde version of the companion CD? Check it...
> Companion cds arent released with every kde release, they dont use to
> release companion cds more than twice a year...
> Why do I need to search on the net if I can download the packages from
> the official site? Most of these releases arent maintained, and only
> sporadical.
>
> About the gcc point, looks like your mind is little bit closed, because
> gcc opens a huge of possibilities that SunCC pro doesnt have, basically
> ~ due to its closed licenses, with gcc we can compile sparc binaries
> distributed trought many boxes with diferent OSs and archs using cross
> compilers, we plan to use distcc for next releases, so our x86 linux
> boxes and eaven PPC boxes with MacOSx would contribute on the compiling
> to the sparc box.
>
> | The point of building KDE with the Sun compilers is to show KDE, and
> | Solaris, at their best. And because it is a very interesting project
> | to work on, from a software engineering perspective. I don't believe
> | that either of these two reasons apply when building with GCC. It's
> | certainly not what i set out to do.
>
> Well, as our goals seems to be totally different, and both of us were
> invited to work for KDE as contributors, we should agree in many terms,
> such as release policy.
>
> Please let us know something about, because we dont want this to become
> a flame.
>

> Sergio and Jaime.
>

> - --
> Sergio Rodriguez de Guzman       -o)         Core Networks - Sistemas
> ~                                  /\
> srodriguez at corenetworks.es       _\_v        http://www.corenetworks.es
> -
> [...]

basysKom
Ingenieurbüro Brucherseifer und Ackermann GbR
IT System Kompetenz
Dipl.-Ing. Eva Brucherseifer
Karlstr. 45
64283 Darmstadt