[kde-solaris] Re: KDE, Solaris, GCC, etc ...

Lars Tunkrans lars.tunkrans at bredband.net
Fri Oct 1 20:19:42 CEST 2004

Sergio Rodriguez de Guzman Martinez wrote:

> We built kde 3.1.5 and 3.2.1 for our own purpose as your 3.1.4 seemed to
> work too slow on our machines. The performance was notably increased, so
> we wanted to share it with the official site.

I built KDE  3.0, 3.1 and 3.2   with GCC 3.2  and Gcc 3.3 on SPARC/Solaris too. And I
have only had 5 days education in C programming. ( 17 years ago  :-) )
AnyOne familiar with Unix , the Make-Process and a rudimetary knowledge
of C and C++ can build KDE with GCC.

Stefans Builds are done for Generic UltraSparc  as I understand it.  Even If I am
running on an UltraSparc 3 workstation and almost certainly would get 25% better performance
if the code was made with CXXFLAGS xtarget=ultra3 and utilize the branchprediction hardware
on the US3 chip, it's not a good idea.   To Make a Port per chiptype would probably confuse
  a lot of people and make maintaining it a nightmare.
SUN themselves are only now dropping support for UltraSparc 1  from Solaris 10

> That is no point...
> Which is the kde version of the companion CD? Check it...
> Companion cds arent released with every kde release, they dont use to
> release companion cds more than twice a year...

The last two years SUN has made 3 releases per year of the whole Solaris
Package including the SW Companion, The latest Companion CD from 09/04  still
contains KDE 3.1.1 , so its very out of date by now.

//Lars