[kde-solaris] Re: KDE, Solaris, GCC, etc ...

Stefan Teleman steleman at nyc.rr.com
Fri Oct 1 14:03:10 CEST 2004

I have uploaded a complete and full set of patches, both in xdelta
format, and as full source code files, for KDE 3.3.0. I have done the
same for KDE 3.2.2, 3.2.1 and 3.1.4. These patches are publicly
available for download from any KDE mirror. There are also shell
scripts for Forte compiler flags, environment variables, a modified
libtool sample which can be used to build any KDE module, and shell
scripts for running configure with the right flags for all the KDE
modules.

And now for a litttle bit of history: when i set out to work on KDE on
Solaris, at the beginning of 2003, it was agreed, on this list, that
i will port, build and maintain KDE for Solaris with the Sun
compilers. If i remember correctly, a vote was taken to this effect,
by the members of this list.

There is no point for me, nor do i have any interest, in building KDE
on Solaris with GCC. There is no point because it's been done
already, by many people, and because Sun provides KDE built with GCC
on their Companion CD. There are many other places on the 'Net where
anyone can download KDE on Solaris built with GCC. I see no need for
yet another GCC build. It is not very difficult to build KDE with
GCC.

The point of building KDE with the Sun compilers is to show KDE, and
Solaris, at their best. And because it is a very interesting project
to work on, from a software engineering perspective. I don't believe
that either of these two reasons apply when building with GCC. It's
certainly not what i set out to do.

--Stefan

-----