[kde-solaris] KDE 3.1.3, Solaris 9 and anti-aliased fonts

Stefan Teleman steleman at nyc.rr.com
Fri May 28 09:30:12 CEST 2004

You can enable TrueType antialiased fonts in Solaris 9:

http://developers.sun.com/dev/gadc/techtips/adding_fonts.html

I would recommend that you upgrade to the KDE 3.1.4 packages available
from one of the KDE mirrors (ibiblio usually has very fast download
pipes). KDE 3.1.3 was the first working build, and 3.1.4 comes with
many significant improvements over 3.1.3. The big huge kderequired
package comes with freetype, fontconfig and ttmkfdir, which you will
need in order to enable antialiasing.

You do not need to go through all the steps described in the above
link. Only the configuration steps at the end are necessary (starting
with the "Adding Fonts to your Account" section).

After configuring your fonts directories, please make sure to add the
font path of the newly configured TrueType fonts directory to xset
fp+ in ${KDE}/bin/startkde.

I have installed on my Solaris 9 box the TrueType fonts from
http://www.1001freefonts.com/ (which has 2000 fonts actually), and
they work.

--Stefan

-----