[kde-solaris] KDE 3.1.3, Solaris 9 and anti-aliased fonts

Mirko Raner mirko at raner.ws
Fri May 28 08:19:52 CEST 2004

Hi all,

I am running Solaris 9 (SPARC) and downloaded the pre-built KDE 3.1.3
packages a while ago. First of all, I have to say that KDE runs like a
charm, and I'm very happy with it! Thanks to all who are involved in the
KDE/Solaris porting effort!
There is one little thing that I can't quite get to work, and that is
anti-aliased font rendering.
When I initially installed KDE, I enabled the anti-aliasing feature, and
the Fonts Control Module has the option 'Use anti-aliasing for fonts'
enabled. Unfortunately, neither the window titles, nor the menus, nor
any text at all is anti-aliased. The only exception is OpenOffice, which
apparently uses its own rendering mechanism. Also, I can see
anti-aliased previews in the Font Installer Control Module, but that's it.
I am little confused about how the whole anti-aliasing is actually
implemented. Apparently, KDE, Qt, libXrender, and Xfs all somehow need
to work together to make this work. I do not have Xfs installed, and I'm
not quite sure where to get it (nor am I sure whether I really need it;
I read different things about that). It appears to me that Xfs is
somewhat tied to XFree86, which, again, I don't have on my machine.
To make a long story short: if somebody out there has successfully
enabled font anti-aliasing with KDE 3.1 and Solaris 9, please let me how
you did it!

Thanks a lot,

Mirko