[kde-solaris] Recommendations for new machine

Alex Stade alex at trdlnk.com
Tue May 11 18:50:43 CEST 2004

On Tuesday 11 May 2004 11:35 am, Brian Foddy wrote:
> Another option is to build for Solaris 8 using the Sun Workshop compiler,
> we have Workshop 6 update 2 running.  I think we have a newer
> major release (7) somewhere, but its not our default.
>  If I take this approach, it would be helpful to have some
> build script hints.

In a conversation with Stefan a while back, he suggested that we (users of Sun
Workshop compilers) keep up with suggesting that KDE needs to be developed
with Workshop in mind as well as GCC. Apparently there is a lot of code
changes that need to be made in order to build a KDE with Sun Workshop. There
are several performance benefits with using Sun Workshop on the SPARC/Solaris
platform.

I have personally not attempted a build of KDE with Sun Workshop since, but
why don't you fire away and mail the list when/if you run into problems? =}

-Alex