[kde-solaris] Fatal communication error with a client

Stefan Teleman steleman at nyc.rr.com
Wed Jan 28 14:02:45 CET 2004

Hi.

Please check the following:

if /opt/kde-3.1.4/bin/artsd is instaled setuid root, change the
permissions to non-setuid root (0755).

Log out, then log back into KDE. Chances are you will get an error
message from artsd, something to the effect of "assertion failed,
moduleName != "" -- click OK, and just ignore it.

Log out of KDE.

Log back into KDE. You should not be seeing any error messages now,
neither the "Fatal communication with a client" from DCOP in
/tmp/${USER}-startkde, nor the "assertion failed" one. artsd should
start fine, and you should hear the KDE startup chimes.

This is a problem when artsd is installed setuid root. I'm trying to
figure out what causes it.

Let me know!

--Stefan

-----