[kde-solaris] KDE 3.2.*, Solaris 9,

Eva Brucherseifer eva at kde.org
Wed Jan 28 10:18:39 CET 2004

Am Dienstag, 27. Januar 2004 20:05 schrieb Stefan Teleman:
> KDE and QT do not throw exceptions explicitly, but they do not
> explicitly
> disallow exceptions being thrown either (with the throw() exception
> specification).

I think the problem appears once the exception needs to be handed through
non-exception object code. I am working on a Qt app for scientific
visualizations and use exception handling in my backend C++ code. But the
exceptions are catched before they reach Qt and are "translated" into message
boxes. This works pretty fine with Qt compiled with exception handling.

> Even the throw() qualifier only guarantees that the method on which it
> is declared will not throw, it does not guarantee that the methods being
> called inside the method implementation will not throw. And throw() does
> not
> act like a catch ( ... ) for those methods which throw from a
> no-throw-allowed
> method.
>
> It is really not a good idea to disable exceptions at compile-time. On
> Forte,
> there is a slight size overhead, but it's actually very small, due to
> the
> fact that no actual exceptions are being explicitly thrown anyway. I
> posted
> this info because i was trying somehow to explain the degree to which
> we'd
> have to go messing around with KDE just so people don't have to resize
> their
> swap partition correctly ...
>
> In my opinion, all these complaints about swap size and KDE binaries
> size
> are sort of ridiculous. I know of at least one person running the 3.1.4
> binaries on an Ultra 5 (not a very powerful machine at all) with only
> 256 MB RAM, and swap correctly configured ... and he is very happy. And
> then people say they can't run it on Ultra 10 with 512 RAM.
>
> But i obviously cannot say these things publicly because i dont want to
> offend
> people ...

I am glad you said it publicly now. I think we must fight these rumours about
heavy memory use of KDE since I think they are definitly not true or have
different reasons. Also I cannot imagine, that e.g. a recent version of Gnome
with it's heavy use of Corba is significantly better. Maybe some people are
spreading fud by intension...

Greetings,
eva