[kde-solaris] KDE 3.2.*, Solaris 9,

Rolf Sponsel Rolf.Sponsel at kstr.lth.se
Wed Jan 28 13:47:50 CET 2004

Eva Brucherseifer wrote:

> Am Dienstag, 27. Januar 2004 20:05 schrieb Stefan Teleman:
>
>> ... DELETED ...
>>
>>In my opinion, all these complaints about swap size and KDE binaries
>>size
>>are sort of ridiculous. I know of at least one person running the 3.1.4
>>binaries on an Ultra 5 (not a very powerful machine at all) with only
>>256 MB RAM, and swap correctly configured ... and he is very happy. And
>>then people say they can't run it on Ultra 10 with 512 RAM.
>>
>>But i obviously cannot say these things publicly because i dont want to
>>offend
>>people ...
>

> I am glad you said it publicly now. I think we must fight these rumours about
> heavy memory use of KDE since I think they are definitly not true or have
> different reasons. Also I cannot imagine, that e.g. a recent version of Gnome
> with it's heavy use of Corba is significantly better. Maybe some people are
> spreading fud by intension...

If, and I say *if*, just in case you should happen to believe
that "spreading fud by intention" would be the reason for me
questioning this, then I can assure you that it is *not*.

The real (and honest) reason is that I find it peculiar
that KDE should require 3 times more swap than RAM to run
on Solaris.

Regards / Rolf

--
----