[kde-solaris] KDE 3.1.4 - Can't talk to klauncher

Richard kdesolaris at nergenshuizen.nl
Tue Jan 27 17:40:25 CET 2004

Hi all,

It started today by wrecking running instances of konqueror, of which only
the borders of the windows remained visible and the rest filled up with
whatever was behind the window. No more menu's, buttons, whatever, except
for the minimize, maximize and close buttons. Close did't work, minimize
did.
So, I started running top in a konsole.

Starting a new instance of konqueror worked, that one was usable although
the "old" ones were still in the above state. clicking a link gave me the
dreaded "Could not start process Can't talk to klauncher" error.

At this moment I had running:
1 kmail, 7 konqueror (5 of which were only borders), 4 konsole's, 8 xterms
and one tcl-script.

Top showed:

load averages:  0.00,  0.02,  0.05
                                        17:05:18140 processes: 138 sleeping, 1 running, 1 on cpu
CPU states: 92.0% idle,  7.0% user,  1.0% kernel,  0.0% iowait,  0.0% swap
Memory: 1024M real, 293M free, 512M swap free

Which is curious because at the same time I found these in /var/adm/messages:
Jan 27 16:50:54 fwc227 tmpfs: [ID 518458 kern.warning] WARNING: /tmp: File
system full, swap space limit exceededJan 27 16:50:54 fwc227 tmpfs: [ID 518458 kern.warning] WARNING: /tmp: File
system full, swap space limit exceededJan 27 16:50:55 fwc227 last message repeated 5 times
Jan 27 16:50:55 fwc227 last message repeated 5 times

Remarkable. Looks like it is swapspace after all.

Is there a reason why kde on Solaris uses such ridiculous amounts of swap?
I mean, on my pc at home kde 3.1.4 runs in 256 M RAM and 512 M swap and
does so quite nicely.

Oh well, time to shove some filesystems around :-)

Cheers,
Richard

--
Het begint met margarine, en het eindigt met de teloorgang van
alle menselijke waarden!