[kde-solaris] ... people are running KDE3 on systems with as little as 64MB for daily use.

Jan Van Belle Jan.Van_Belle at alcatel.be
Tue Jan 27 12:01:49 CET 2004

On Tuesday 27 January 2004 11:36, Rolf Sponsel wrote:
> That link of Eva is inspiring :-) as it mentions:
>
> "Some point to the memory footprint of KDE as a sign of its "bloat".
>   As  with speed, this has been improving steadily since KDE 2.0 and
>   people are running KDE3 on systems with as little as 64MB for daily
>   use. ..."

Its true: I ran KDE3 on my athlon-tbird 750 MHz with 64M RAM without problems.
And I am running it also on a 233MHz laptop with 96M RAM. As long as you don't
multitask too many things, it's quite acceptable
--> I am using KDE because of KDevelop and it's integrated suite of network
and PIM utilities

Kind regards,

Jan

PS: but on that laptop, it takes me 2 or 3 days to compile the most needed
stuff (libs/base/network/pim/sdk/quanta/kdevelop)