[kde-solaris] swap space requirements [was: KDE 3.1.4 - Can'ttalk to klauncher]

Marco Walther Marco.Walther at sun.com
Tue Jan 27 01:08:34 CET 2004

EB> On Monday 26 January 2004 16:47, Philippe Bourdeu d'Aguerre wrote:
>> On lundi 26 Janvier 2004 15:47, Stefan Teleman wrote:
>> > based on:
>> >
>> > 1. experience
>> > 2. a tendency of mine to grant more weight to factual, observed
>> > behavior, rather than to one or another particular online article.
>> > 3. another tendency of mine to accept the fact that OS's in general
>> > tend to do whatever they want to do, and swap the way they want to
>> > swap, regardless of what people think or hope they _should_ be doing.
>> > 4. when faced with a fairly trivial problem which has three possible
>> > solutions:
>> >         a) shrink KDE
>>
>> Is it impossible ? I notice that when I launch an application from a shell
>> there are lot of debug output. Is it possible to suppress them ? With
>> Linux-Mandrake there is no such output.

Look at <kde_install_base>kdeprintrc/share/config/kdebugrc .  There
you can specify what Debug/info/error messages should go where.

EB> With gcc you use the little utility namned "strip" to remove debug information
EB> from binaries. Don't know wether it works for Forte compiled binaries.

Yes, it does.

EB> Also I am not sure wether this really affects memory use.

No, it does not. The debug info is only loaded by the debugger or
other stacktrace tools when needed.

EB> Greetings,
EB> eva

>> >         b) rewrite the SunOS swapper
>> >         c) increase swap
        d) Get more memory
	e) Move /tmp away from swap to it's own real
	   partition/disk. (it lives normal in swap in Solaris)

Thanks,
-- Marco