[kde-solaris] swap space requirements [was: KDE 3.1.4 - Can'ttalk to klauncher]

Eva Brucherseifer eva.brucherseifer at basyskom.de
Mon Jan 26 20:37:36 CET 2004

On Monday 26 January 2004 16:47, Philippe Bourdeu d'Aguerre wrote:
> On lundi 26 Janvier 2004 15:47, Stefan Teleman wrote:
> > based on:
> >
> > 1. experience
> > 2. a tendency of mine to grant more weight to factual, observed
> > behavior, rather than to one or another particular online article.
> > 3. another tendency of mine to accept the fact that OS's in general
> > tend to do whatever they want to do, and swap the way they want to
> > swap, regardless of what people think or hope they _should_ be doing.
> > 4. when faced with a fairly trivial problem which has three possible
> > solutions:
> >         a) shrink KDE
>
> Is it impossible ? I notice that when I launch an application from a shell
> there are lot of debug output. Is it possible to suppress them ? With
> Linux-Mandrake there is no such output.

With gcc you use the little utility namned "strip" to remove debug information
from binaries. Don't know wether it works for Forte compiled binaries.

Also I am not sure wether this really affects memory use.

Greetings,
eva

> >         b) rewrite the SunOS swapper
> >         c) increase swap
> >
> > i try to choose the most practical and easily implemented solution (c).

basysKom
Ingenieurbüro Brucherseifer und Ackermann GbR
IT System Kompetenz
Dipl.-Ing. Eva Brucherseifer
Karlstr. 45
64283 Darmstadt