[kde-solaris] Failed to accept ICE connection - again...

Stefan Teleman steleman at nyc.rr.com
Wed Feb 18 04:12:58 CET 2004

Oh ... yes, there is. It looks like you are running into the 256 per
process file descriptor limit on SunOS.

It is fairly easy to raise these limits on SunOS: add the following
two lines at the bottom of /etc/system:

set rlim_fd_max=8192
set rlim_fd_cur=1024
(requires root permission to do)

and then reboot.

After reboot, you should see

prompt%> ulimit -Hn
8192

and

prompt%> limit -Sn
1024

which means the soft fd per process limit is now (1024 - 1) and hard
limit is (8192 - 1) -- ulimit -n reports file descriptor limits -1.

This should prevent hitting this barrier in the future. I am surprised
that you have not seen any errors in the kde log -- something similar
to:

setrlimit: not owner

because my Solaris patches for KDE contain explicit code to raise
these file descriptor limits for those processes which require it,
and dcopserver is definitely one of them.

Please let me know.

--Stefan

-----