[kde-solaris] KDE 3.1.4 status update

Stefan Teleman steleman at nyc.rr.com
Mon Sep 22 23:34:50 CEST 2003

Hi!

Don't get too excited, it's not ready yet. :-)

Just a little status update: i started building 3.1.4 yesterday.

Given the unpleasant amount of problems some of you seem to have had
with the kderequired jumbo pkg and pkg relocation, i will build 3.1.4
with RPATH disabled. This way, there will no hardcoded library paths
into shared libraries or executables. On the flip side, this creates
another little problem: LD_LIBARY_PATH has to be set, and it may end
up being very long.

I will also try my very best to re-package kderequired into its
separate components. That means there will be a _lot_ of individual
packages to be installed, one by one. I guess i would call it a
tradeoff in pain. :-) I don't know if this really is a better
approach, i am only trying to make things easier. If you think it's a
loser, please let me know. :-) It also means one extra week of delay
in releasing, because i have to build these packages separately, one
by one, and there's quite a few of them. :-(

On the issue of why is kderequired really required: the truth is,
mixing very aggressively optimized Forte generated code with gcc
generated code (of which most of the time i cannot even determine how
it was built) does not always work. gcc C++ and Forte C++ are not
fully binary compatible with each other, especially at such high
levels of specific UltraSPARC optimization. When i was working on my
first try at KDE (early this year), i tried to use some gcc built
libraries off the 'Net, and i gave up very soon, because of
unpredictable behavior, which disappeared once i built everything
with Forte.

Plese let me know what you think.

I am very curious to see if the ksmserver / session shutdown problem
happens on Forte as well. I will keep everyone posted. I am also
curious if Noatun's decision to not work with gcc translates into it
working with Forte (something which up until now it has obstinately
refused to do), I did not yet find the time to do a -g build of
kdemultimedia. I promise i will do a debug build after 3.1.4 and try
my very best to get it fixed for 3.2, if it still does not work.

On a side note (not necessarily related to KDE): i have built/ported
xmms and gimp with/to Forte, and been testing them for about a week
now, and they are smokin' fast and very stable. If anyone is
interested, please let me know, and i will find a way of getting them
to you, without abusing KDE's generosity in terms of disk space. The
drawback: you have to install kderequired. :-)

Thank you so much to everyone for their kind support and feedback.