[kde-solaris] KDE 3.1.4 status update

Lars Tunkrans lars.tunkrans at bredband.net
Tue Sep 23 09:46:14 CEST 2003

Stefan Teleman wrote:

> Given the unpleasant amount of problems some of you seem to have had
> with the kderequired jumbo pkg and pkg relocation, i will build 3.1.4
> with RPATH disabled. This way, there will no hardcoded library paths
> into shared libraries or executables. On the flip side, this creates
> another little problem: LD_LIBARY_PATH has to be set, and it may end
> up being very long.

> Plese let me know what you think.

   Solaris have:
  /usr/lib /usr/dt/lib /usr/opewin/lib /usr/sfw/lib /opt/sfw/lib

   Which already needs to be in LD_LIBRARY_PATH
  and /usr/local/lib  if you are using SUNfreeware stuff.

  Every path we tack on to the end here means that almost every
  single binary loaded  goes through this pathlist and searches for
  "lib's"  every time it needs to load something.
  Do a truss(1)  on any binary and you will see.

  The end result is longer load times = startuptime.

  If For some Reason -R_PATH's  cant be used
  I think that most libraries to go with KDE needs to be
  put in one place .

  To have  a ten or twenty items long LD_LIBRARY_PATH
  will slow the system down.

  Maybe we should have a discussion on how and why the attempt on using
  -R_Paths failed first.

   //Lars