[kde-solaris] Problems with KDE 3.1.2 packages and KDE 3.1.x in general

Bob Meader bob at cci.net
Wed Jul 9 10:12:00 CEST 2003

I have removed the KDE 3.1.2 packages.
The reason is problem between KDE text widgets
and certain Xservers.  What happens is certain
characters such as 'b' don't echo or display
when entered.  The problem is completely
repeatable on a Sun Enterprise 250 and according
to dnewman at maraudingpirates.org:
"I know exactly what you are talking about.  I experienced
that same behaviour and I believe it is a bug in KDE. It becomes more
pronounced the slower the connection between the X client and server.  And
it was only certain
text widgets that did it."

I have download/tried KDE 3.1,3.1.1 and 3.1.2 versions built
by various people and ALL show same behaviour. KDE 3.0.5
is last version to work correctly.  Note I did this test
on a fresh install of Solaris 8 to a blank drive.  I don't
know if Solaris 9 - KDE has same behavior.

Hopefully someone will investigate this as currently
KDE 3.1.x is only usable on certain Xserver Installations

More information about the kde-solaris mailing list